Our Fair Housing and Reasonable Accommodation seminar has been completely revamped to give you expanded and updated content. The book is fully cited with statutes, HUD regulations, PIH notices, and HUD and Department of Justice (DOJ) guidance and makes an excellent reference document for your office. Participants gain practical knowledge through hands-on case study activities developed from current, real-life fair housing legal actions, recent HUD voluntary compliance agreements (VCAs), HUD regulations and notices, and fair housing audits. Topics addressed in the class include:
- Understanding the reasonable accommodation process
- Preparing for HUD and FHEO civil rights monitoring, fair housing reviews, and complaint investigations
- Complying with requirements and implementing best practices for VAWA
Upon completion of Fair Housing and Reasonable Accommodation, you should be able to explain and apply critical fair housing laws, regulations, and guidance to assure compliance in HUD's multifamily, housing choice voucher (HCV), and public housing programs.
- Discuss fair housing best practices and common errors resulting in lawsuits
- Compare and contrast the two definitions of disabled in HUD programs
- Apply the reasonable accommodation process at all program levels including application, occupancy, and termination
- List and explain the factors for compliance as well as best practices under the Violence Against Women Reauthorization Act (VAWA)
- Describe guidance for working with limited English proficiency (LEP) individuals
- Discuss discrimination based on federally protected classes such as race, familial status, and national origin
- Discuss pertinent issues surrounding both sexual harassment and hate crimes
- Explain the basic Section 3 requirements for housing agencies and their contractors
View the agenda for in-person classes
View the agenda for live web trainings
METHOD: A group-live seminar featuring PowerPoint, case studies, group discussion, course books, and Q&A
LENGTH: Two days
AUDIENCE: All staff
PROGRAM LEVEL: Basic knowledge of housing programs and issues
ADVANCED PREPARATION: None
EXAM: The certification exam is available for $150. Select the exam during checkout or click here to view a list of certification exams available.
CREDITS: CPE units = 15, CEU units w/ exam = 1.3
REGISTER: Fill out the PDF registration form and fax to 619.258.5791. Or select the seminar you'd like to attend from the list of locations and dates below to order online.