The purpose of this training is to teach rent calculation for both the public housing and housing choice voucher programs. The seminar has been carefully structured for combination areas to be trained together. This is possible because both programs use essentially the same rules leading up to the final rent calculation.
Upon completion of HCV and Public Housing Rent Calculation, you will understand what is included in and excluded from annual income and how to identify and calculate income from assets, recognize and apply deductions to calculate adjusted income, and calculate total tenant payment (TTP). For those who work in the HCV program, you will also calculate the family share and housing assistance payment (HAP). For those working in the public housing program, you will calculate tenant rent and understand flat rents.
- Read and interpret form HUD-50058 and its accompanying instructions
- Identify and calculate annual income using 24 CFR part 5, which is universal to all HUD programs
- Recognize the qualifiers for the earned income disallowance (EID), identify the exclusion periods, and calculate the disallowance
- Identify assets and calculate income from assets based on 24 CFR part 5
- Calculate adjusted income by correctly applying the HUD-defined allowances and expenses that are universal to both programs
- Recognize the requirements for verification of income, allowances, and expenses which are identical for both programs
- Calculate the HAP and family share for an HCV family using the payment standard, utility allowance, and gross rent, or
- Calculate total tenant payment and tenant rent for a public housing family
- Apply rent calculation skills to solve hands-on case studies
- Case studies can be completed for HCV (using section 12 of the 50058 form), public housing (using section 10 of the 50058 form), or both
View the agenda for in-person classes
View the agenda for live web trainings
METHOD: A group-live seminar featuring PowerPoint, case studies, group discussion, course book, and Q&A
LENGTH: Three days
AUDIENCE: Occupancy and reexam staff and supervisors
PROGRAM LEVEL: Basic
ADVANCED PREPARATION: None
EXAM: The certification exam is available for $150. Select the exam during checkout or click here to view a list of certification exams available.
CREDITS: CPE units = 21, CEU units w/ exam = 1.8
AVAILABLE IN SPANISH: This seminar is available in Spanish. Agencies who request this seminar in Spanish will receive a bilingual trainer and the PowerPoint presentation for the seminar in Spanish. Contact us for more information.
Este seminario esta disponible en español. Una agencia puede pedir este seminario en español y recibirá un entrenador bilingüe y la presentación de power point será en español. Comuníquese con nuestra oficina para más información.
REGISTER: Fill out the PDF registration form and fax to 619.258.5791. Or select the seminar you'd like to attend from the list of locations and dates below to order online.